This week we answered questions on screens as well as some less topical but popular issues. It’s eclectic but it’s worth sharing so don’t forget that if you have a question then just let us know via twitter on @ruggedandmobile or using #RAMQQ or using Facebook.
1. Are rugged screens made from plastic more rugged than the old glass ones?
Well yes and no, we think yes for a few reasons:
- They’re more rugged as they flex
- They fit better into the casing of the PDA so you can use them more easily with your fingers.
- Cheaper to make!
- They often only fail after a drop and leave the LCD in tact
What you do have to do though is make sure you use a screen protector as they can scratch more easily.
2. Is it easy to port a Windows mobile app to a WVGA screen resolution?
Short answer is there will be some work to do this as Windows Mobile doesn’t really handle dynamic screen sizing too well and is nowhere near Android in that sense. However if you anchor your controls and don’t use the areas that WM6.5 use for buttons then it’s just a hack through your screens to make them fit a new resolution. You will have to update the app though.
3. Do larger screens need more power to run?
Definitely but batteries are getting bigger and better and screens are getting less power hungry too. You can also use the device settings to tweak things like brightness to improve battery life. LCD’s are right up there in the top 3 power intensive things a device has. Right along side 3G and phone usage.
4. Are there any 5″ screen rugged devices coming out that would be comparable to something like a Samsung Note 3?
Oh yes. Pidion has announced it’s BM180 and BP30 (More rugged version) and knowing Pidion the way we do, these will be out in 6-ish months. However beating this will be the Raptor R5, we’re already testing which has a 5″ LCD and runs android. There are a plethora of 4.3″ screens to choose form though, just check them here.
5. How do you hard reset a Pidion BIP-5000?
6. What size screen does a Motorola TC55 have?
This is one of the durable smartphones we sell that has a 4.3″ screen.
That’s it for another week folks, keep sending those questions in, use #RAMQQ on twitter @ruggedandmobile or just email them in.